After I had a sh*tty day at work (where all my suspicions about management ineptitude was at last, fully realised) I had a thought that this backbreaking, ass-wiping, smiling-through-idiocy-with-clenched-teeth business was simply not worthwhile. At least not now, in Hong Kong, in the fledgling stages of my apparent carte blanche of a career where I am simply known as 'the girl from London'. None of the brand that I built back in London counts for anything here. And it's too late right now to make it count- at least for 2013.
So, here was my epiphany. F*ck it. I came out here to grow as a professional, and as a person. I came out here to begin a new chapter, but what that chapter contains is not predefined. It's important to me that I do well at work - I have never given less than my full commitment, but at times like these, I can get some perspective and realise (as in make true) that there are other things I can put my heart into, which are within my control, which will make me better, more fulfilled, and happier. I will be the own puppeteer of my life, the measure of which I will both define and accomplish.
Because this blog is all rather self indulgent and let's face it, pretty damn boring, here's a visual to emphasise my point - drawn in the style (and as an homage to) my favourite comic artists at Cyanide & Happiness.
![]() |
| I'll show you.. *shakes fist*. |
