First Paragraph Overriding Caveat:
OK. I am tired, let's get that out of the way so I don't have to say it again. I fear I am going to be perpetually tired here, mainly because of work and slightly because my mental hamster is working overtime in it's little wheel. I've already complained to death to friends and family about the ridiculous expectations which are my job, so let's steer clear of that too. These are things I am going to avoid blogging about (though it cannot be guaranteed), because let's face it - it's not interesting.
I've landed on Planet Hong Kong. It's not exactly new, but it is foreign. More than ever now, I feel like an outsider. I've been here a week, and my stomach is telling me, "what the f*ck". Of course, the food is not bad here - but I've yet to find the time or energy to explore beyond the vast numbers of Asian eateries, to locate my Western cravings - my big and bold steakhouses, my independent Italian restaurants , my Pret A Manger's (I saw someone carry a Pret bag - it MUST exist!).
I have also yet to explore beyond the shopping malls of Tai Koo, over than a couple of darting visits to our family's spiritual home in the New Territories, near Sheung Shui. The streets are cramped full of people, the buildings are tall, vast, and largely dusted with grey mould. Large, ostentatious signs jut out over and under each other from all blocks, advertising 'Deluxe Restaurant' or 'Estate Agent' or usually something in Chinese that I can't read. The weather, in the past week, has been flat out rubbish. From the 53rd floor of my workplace, I can barely see the tops of buildings, but only a thick dark cloud, sometimes rainy, sometimes stormy. I'm told just appreciate the temperate climate, as in the Summer I am going to clearly die.
National pastimes here appear to be the aforementioned Shopping and Eating. There are masses of shops selling items of a vanity related nature. Good skincare seems to be the first rule of being a Honky. Other than that, there are many clothes boutiques, which I wouldn't mind so much if it weren't for the mandatory Annoying Shop Assistant who stalks you around the store, and exploits the moment that you glance at a dress for more than 1.5 seconds to pounce on you and jabber on about how it's the most popular dress in the store, how you should try it on, how the changing room is this way and let me lead you to the changing room and here's a basket for all your other forthcoming purchases!
I walked into Marks & Spencer today with no intention of buying anything but just to experience a feeling of familiarity (it was nice).
The supermarket was interesting, as they always are. Absolutely no microwave/oven ready meal aisle, but a full aisle of instant noodles. How I miss my lasagne. I dawdled around for a good half an hour looking for some Western comforts in the shape of bread and pasta before abandoning the whole idea when I saw the check out queue and the fact dawned on me I didn't bring any bags (one should appreciate the flagrant distribution of free carrier bags in UK supermarkets).
My parents have been immense - screw the whole independence thing, it would have been utter hell to find a flat, sort out the utilities (and broadband, let's not forget the most important thing) and open a bank account here without their help. My dad has arranged for all the furniture and taken a screwdriver to sort out all the niggly bits, my mum has bought all the houseware (down to the bathroom mat) and has religiously ironed all of my clothes, and made sure I eat an ample amount of fruit each day. They've even brought me some lunch when I was in the office. I can't imagine how difficult it would have been without them, and I am eternally grateful.
Thoughts of England and my past life are still freshly in my head. I miss the greenery, the people, the language, the fact that I didn't really have to think about things before doing them. Right now there is a lot of mental effort into thinking about where I shall go for lunch.
I should think that once I am fully resigned (and therefore, physically conditioned) to my new lifestyle or lack thereof, I will be able to do the whole socialising thing. Right now, it is just a process of adjustment and looking at the Long Game as we call it - all the benefits will be there for the reaping, it's just going to be a challenging journey and a complete b*tch to begin with.
Also, you may have noticed it is my Birthday today, and usually that means I'm on holiday - but I've granted myself a Mid-transition Exemption for Habilitation period (or a MEH) where I will do nothing much of note, though I did blog and that is actually a momentous occasion in itself.
Onwards to my new life!