| Islands formed from dragons gobbing |
Given my underwhelming experience in Hanoi, I was again a little skeptical, which could only have made my experience better overall because at the end of the day I was immensely grateful for having to get up at stupid o'clock in the morning to be shuttled two hours east across Vietnam. Who says pessimism doesn't pay off? (Probably a pessimist.)
Stretching my legs off the early morning mini-bus ride, I started to get a bit excited/nervous about what would follow. As we walked along the wooden pier, several small vessels were docked, pulling in and pulling out of the bay, whilst my companions and I were looked about with trepidation as to which would be our ride. Would it be that lavishly grand triple-deck cruiser? The seedy looking tourist-trappy boat that would undoubtedly take you to sixteen different fake floating markets? Or that dilapidated set of wooden logs in the corner there?
| Ma boat? |
In the end, I was relieved to find we were hustled onto a relatively small, but well kept two-tiered boat with a seating area at the bottom and a deck-chaired balcony up top. We were served a simple but decent lunch with fish, vegetables and fruits, though we were made to buy our own soft drinks for what was considered to be an extortionate price of 1USD per can.
| Boat lunch - surprisingly good |
Declaring myself satisfied with lunch, I later clamoured out onto the upper deck, awaiting the upcoming scenary, and found Halong Bay to be a picture of charm, beauty and tranquility. The waters were calm throughout, and the mists that swirled around the islands exuded a sense of the mystic, the other-worldly. I have been told that there are thousands of islands in the Bay - I could have stared into that
landscape for hours, and for those moments, would have been entirely content with life. Following the urban sprawl that I had previously known Vietnam to be, this was such a welcome and surprising change of scenery and pace.
| Watercolour perfect |
| I was as dubious as you are |
| raargh |
| Green + Peace |
| An idyllic scene as you drift into the inlet |
We didn't just flap about on the water. We also visited Thien Cung Grotto (the Heavenly Cave), a large, cool space with loads of moody lights fitted in all the right places, to showcase the natural awesomeness that are stalagmites and stalactites. I didn't keep up with the tour-guide here, as the place was so massive, and there were many stone steps and wooden walkways to trundle across whilst you gaped and attempted to take artistic photos of the shadowy caverns and suggestive rock formations.
EK did manage to eavesdrop onto another chinese-speaking tour group however, and explained to me how one particular piece of rock resembled the sitting form of a young girl, who married the dragon in the cave as a sacrificial gesture for her oppressed people. I did manage to get a glimpse of that rock, which to me looked very much like a lump of craggy stone. Another particular rock formation supposedly resembled a woman's nipple - you can see it in the below photo. Well, after I heard that, there was no other way I could see it but as a nipple. The chinese tour guide had explained that touching its base held good luck - given the base was next to the walkway that led to the exit, cue a dozen or so coy looking chinese tourists nonchalantly passing the base of the giant nipple, touching it as they went and glancing back at their friends in a sort of "oh, this is sooo stupid..(rub rub rub)" gesture.
When we exited the cave, it was a slow, chilled boat ride back to the pier and the mini-bus, and luckily for us it was a wonderful evening approaching sunset. Now, I imagine it wears a bit thin, and doesn't really do it justice if I keep using the words "idyllic" and "tranquil", and show you pictures of water. The real experience can't be described by words, or at least any that I know how to put into a coherent sentence. It was just a pleasure to sit there and watch the beautiful manifestations of nature surrounding me.
| totes gorge. |
We arrived back to Hanoi in the early evening - I was a little tired and stiff, but very much content with the day. Soon after, we departed Vietnam, and I was glad that I finished the trip on that experience. After the apathetic response I had to HCM and Hanoi, I was happy to have seen the bare, natural side of the country. Though I will never see it all, I jetted off safe in the knowledge that there was much more to Vietnam than meets the eye.
![]() |
| Views I could never tire of.. |
Next up... Siem Reap, Cambodia. A wondrous place, where my words will fail me in doing the enchantment of the place any justice. But, I'll try.
