Sunday, February 03, 2008

Looking to bank holidays

I'm looking to fully exploit all the free holidays i can get this year. I get 25 allocated, which is pretty good as far as allocations go, but if you think about it for a second, its just a demonstration of how work-obsessed the whole world is. 280 working days per year, minus 8 bank holidays (less than the rest of europe, stingey british government), = 272 days. so 25 days means one is entitled to have up to 9% of working days off. Now thats pathetic. And you get even less in Asia , like 10 days or something, which leads me to the conclusion we all have our priorities wrong. Maybe I'll be a temp - earning 500pds a day and taking the day off whenever i feel like sounds like a good life..

Easter holidays a-coming, i'm thinking of the following trip - Fly into one of three Swiss cities, going down via train to Lugano and Como. if i'm feeling ambitious, take the train all the way into Italy and perhaps Torino, as I've been to Milan and it ain't all that. And if i'm feeling REALLY ambitious, go to France and I hear Grenoble is nice, with Lyon not so far away.

In any case i ought to visit Switzerland this year. I actually got an invite to interview for a job in Private Banking in Geneva last week, which really made me yearn for it :-( but living situations...promotion prospects and future career routes are all things i need to think about before i take on my next role. Lord knows i've stayed in this bloody post far too long that they think they can exploit me like the graduate monkey slave I am. Sometimes one needs to just take a leap of faith...

Listening to: Kate Nash - Foundations.
Usually not a fan of this sort of proper-cockney london accented stuff but have to admit the song, especially the chorus is catchy and at least it has some substance amidst its story-like lyrics.